Saturday, June 22, 2013

Camping at Beaver Dam

 I am a huge fan of camping. I bet you didn't know that about me because I don't go that often. That is because my amazing husband is not a fan. He thinks that camping should involve a hotel and a hot tub. That is his idea of ruffing it. But lucky for me, he loves me and will put up with my crazy ideas to go camping.
Earlier this summer I had discussed going on a camping trip with my father in law and my sister in law Nikki. We had decided that we really wanted to try and go over Fathers day weekend. But when checking schedules it just didn't work out that way. So we decided to go the following weekend. Low and behold I came down with a severe case of tonsillitis the same week. I was miserable. Geoff and I had talked about not going if I was not feeling up to it. I really wanted to go but was not really feeling that great when Friday morning rolled around.
Geoff decided that we were not going to go based on how I was feeling. He let his dad know that we were going to have to pass this time and that we would go the next time. Hal being typical Hal decided that if we were not going to go that he was going to cancel the whole trip even though other people were planning on going. I really hate when stuff like this happens because I feel like you put in all the time and effort to get everyone to say that they are going to go and to get everything ready and then because one person cancels the whole trip has to be cancelled.
That did not fly with me. So we called Hal back and told him that we were going to come. When Geoff got off work we got in the car and headed up the mountain. It was a lot longer drive then I had anticipated but it was beautiful. Hooch loved the car ride. But then again he really loves anything that has to do with the car and food! This dog of ours is such a hoot!
When we got up there everyone got settled in on setting up camp and getting dinner ready. Because I had not been able to eat much over the last few days due to not feeling well, I was really looking forward to having some food. But guess what? I still could not really eat. It hurt me to swallow food and then when I could get something down into my stomach it would cause me to have a severe pain in my chest. After talking with a doctor we found out that it was a wound in my esophagus caused by the infection. Needless to say I did not get to enjoy the food I was looking forward to.
Geoff and his peach cobbler. It turned out okay but if he would have done it my way I think it would have been better. He does not agree with me on it though!
Hooch really loved lying in the dirt. He also loved all the human food he was able to have. I am dead set against him having to much of it but it seems that he knows how to get it when I am not watching close enough. I am pretty sure that he got a few things off of Kiera's plate when she was not watching it close enough.

Hal enjoying one of his favorite past times! Eating! Notice Hooch in the background scoping out for food. He was over by the food table waiting for stuff to fall on the ground.

Karen and Braxton made the drive up to spend sometime with us in the evening. They were not able to stay the night but it was fun to hang out with them and chat for a few hours.

Neldon and Randy. Sorry Randy this is the only picture I got of you. I think that you were walking around trying to get Blake to sleep when I pulled the camera out. I will have to do better next time.

Kiera and her "Cheese" face. She was so adorable. I love this picture of her and Nikki. I think that it turned out so good.

Kiera and Hooch off on an adventure!
I didn't get my camera out at all the rest of the trip. Things pretty much went down hill for me after dinner. I was not feeling well and really wanted to go home but didn't want to make the 2 hour trip. I decided to try and get some sleep. Do you know how hard it is to sleep on a cot when you are pregnant? Lets just say that sleeping on your back is the most uncomfortable thing in the world and there was no way to get comfortable on my side. Needless to say I did not sleep much throughout the night. I wish that I would have gotten a picture of Geoff and Hooch. Geoff was on the ground in his sleeping bag and he had it unzipped so that the air could come in. Hooch went over and laid down with him and slept right next to him all night. I bet that Hooch was in heaven because he does not sleep with us at home. He stayed there all night. I didn't even have to worry about him getting up and going anywhere. In the morning I was still not feeling great but wanted to try and make the best of the trip. 
Randy was making bacon and eggs. One of my favorites and I tried to eat some hoping that it would make me feel better. Hal suggested that I drink some milk to try and help make me feel better. I decided that was the worst decision I made the whole trip. I ended up losing what I had managed to get down in a bush not far from the campground. I hate throwing up in general. It is so much worse when you are somewhere that you have to make a split second decision on where you are going to aim. TMI? This is for my records... You are just privileged enough to get to read it. Needless to say I was done and ready to go home. I told Geoff to pack up the car and that we were leaving.
Hal wanted us to go and hike up the river to a waterfall and I am sure that it was beautiful but I could not do it. I just wanted to get home and to get a shower and get into my bed where I could hopefully sleep off the rest of my illness. I am really glad that we went because the memories that we make are always fun to have. But I know that next time I will not be going camping while I am not feeling well.

No comments:

Post a Comment