If you dont know what a Spartan race is look it up. This one we did was the Spartan Beast. It is the hardest Spartan race there is. I am not sure why we decided to do the hardest one as our first one but we did. The race was just over 13 miles long and it had about 25 obstacles.
These orange buckets are filled with rocks. I bet that they weighed close to 50 pounds. You had to fill the bucket up first with the rocks and then you had to climb up a hill with them and then back down to the bottom. We also had to carry sand bags. Geoff made a mistake and carried his around the loop twice. He was a bit upset about that. There was a giant mud pit that we had to jump into. The water was so cold and the mud was slippery. It was so hard to get back out of the water.
Some of the other obstacles were a bunch of tires all in a row but your ankles were tied together, a set of monkey bars, and a rope ladder net up to the top of a bridge. We also had to climb up a hill on our bellies under barbed wire. There was water running down the hill so there were all kinds of rocks that were getting the dirt washed off of them. I ended up with a lot of cuts on my legs and elbows from there. If you were unable to complete the obstacle you had to do 20 burpees. I only had to do 3 sets of burpees. I had to do them after the monkey bars. I made it all the way across and then fell off trying to get my feet onto the ladder to get down. They said that I did not complete them and had to do the burpees. I also had to do them after shooting a gun and throwing a javelin. I guess aim is not my strong suit.
At the end of the race right before the finish line there were these gladiators that were trying to hit you as you ran past. They were trying to keep you from getting to the finish line. One of them hit me pretty hard. But I was so ready to be done that I didn't even care.
The whole Crossfit Zion group before the race. There sure were a lot of us and we all had a blast.
This is what Geoff and I looked like at the end of the race. We had to get a picture of us with our medals and and covered in mud. We waited a bit to long before we made it to the showers to clean up. The mud had dried and the cup that I was holding was stuck in my hand. I ended up leaving my shoes in a donation pile because they were so dirty that I could not get them all they way clean. This race was long and hard but I had a blast and would love to do another one one day. I am so glad that Geoff humors me and does all of these races that I sign us up for.






No comments:
Post a Comment